09 January 2015

Human Rights Watch, Brussels
Spring/Summer Internship 'EU Advocacy'
Deadline for application: 18 January 2015

The Advocacy division of Human Rights Watch (HRW) is seeking a full-time intern for the Brussels office. The intern will primarily focus on advocacy projects related to the EU Common Foreign and Security Policy/External Relations.  Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, monitoring the activities and policies of the European Union in the area of human rights; organizing and/or attending meetings; promoting HRW report findings; writing correspondences; conducting research; and some administrative tasks. The internship will start on 2 March and will last for a minimum of four to six months.
This internship is unpaid. However, interns may be reimbursed for some lunch and local travel costs as pre-approved by HRW and in accordance with HRW policy. HRW internships often offer direct exposure to the workings of an international human rights organization, close supervision by the HRW staff, interaction with international organizations and foreign and domestic government officials, and opportunities to attend lectures, trainings and special events relating to human rights at the EU and elsewhere.

Qualifications
Applicants should be well-organized, highly motivated, proactive, reliable, and willing to learn, with a good knowledge of and proven interest in international human rights. They must possess an excellent verbal and written command of English. French and/or any other EU language skills are also advantageous. Applicants must have strong knowledge of EU foreign policy and excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, and internet research tools. Previous professional experience within an EU institution/NGO is desirable but not necessary.

How to apply
Please apply by 18 January by sending a letter of interest, resume, names or letters of reference, and a brief, unedited writing sample (no calls or email inquiries, please) to advocacyinternships@hrw.org. Please use 'EU Advocacy Internship Brussels Spring/Summer 2015' as the subject of your email. Due to the large number of applications expected, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Only complete applications will be reviewed.

1 comment:


  1. good day. sir .I have a big problem..its
    like the world is falling on my head...my life is shattered, I don't knw
    wat to do and who to run to.....a guy in our opposite street gave my
    number to some holigans and they added me on whatsapp and
    started chatting with me....we chatted for like 2 weeks and we
    planned to meet to have sex coz I started feeling attracted to
    him...he told me to come to a guest house but I refused because it
    would raise suspicion for two guys to enter a room...I told him we
    can't meet there then he told me to come to his house that his house
    was free...it was then I knew sumtin was wrong because if he knew
    his house was free why did he then suggest we meet at a guest
    house...so I started ignoring him....the next day I was in my house
    wen my phone rang (6th January) and he said he wanted to see me...
    I told him we couldn't see an he hung up...the next thing they came
    to my house..he and four other boys...they came to my house and I
    was so scared because my mum was at home..when she confronted
    them they said they must see me...I came out and they started
    raising their voice that they want to take me to the community town
    hall and beat me to death and strip me naked and hand me to the
    police....my brother I started shivering... I was so scared coz I was
    born in a Christian home...my parents are both workers in deeper life
    Bible church...so my mum started crying and calming them
    down...they started reading out my chat with the boy and they
    framed it as if I was the one trying to seduce him....I couldn't talk
    because they Wea 5 in number and all of them are bad boys....my
    brothers came and my immediate elder brother stood for me on the
    grounds that they didn't catch me in the act...they Wea like he will
    explain that tro the police because it was obvious that gayness was
    written all over me because of my effeminate lifestyle...I tried to hold
    my other brother but he pushed me away and walked out of the
    house..at this point I thought I was going to die....I wept,they started
    asking me to list all my partners my mum said I should answer them
    lest they provoke...I told them I didn't have any partners around that
    all my partners Wea in my secondary boarding school and that they
    wea far away..they threatened me all to no avail....after everything
    mum said they should take me to church instead of the police..she
    was crying and begging them... they took my phone and my mum
    gave them 1thousand naira....they came back in the evening fully
    dressed and I had to follow them to church along with my
    brother...wen the pastor said repentant sinners should come out they
    told me to go out.....after everything my mum took me to two
    different pastors..they prayed heaven and earth for me casting out
    the gay spirit( according to them) in me...my mum has read the Bible
    a thousand times to me since the day before yesterday till now...my
    dad came back from his journey last night and my mum told him
    everything....he woke me around 5 this morning and talked to me till
    7:30..... I'm so scared now...I promised them that I'm a changed
    person that I'm now a new creature and they have forgiven me...I
    don't feel safe here anymore..I have not eaten for almost 2 days and I
    don't even have appetite...I feel like a stranger in my home...my
    childhood friends both boys and girls who love me the way I am have
    visited me and consoled me coz I have been shedding uncontrollable
    tears...they even wanted to arrange boys to go to the next street and
    obtain my phone back but I told them no....coz I don't wanna
    aggravate the issue.... wat has been ringing in my mind since last
    night is suicide...I don't have any reason to live again..my life is
    over....I wish I could just leave Nigeria I can't stay here anymore..I
    feel so scared...I can't even tell the police because being gay is a
    crime here and the penalty is 14years imprisonment... someone
    should rescue me please... johnalajemba@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete